Monday, June 30, 2008

Nature


Within the past year, I have found a significant amount of comfort in nature. I find it in trees, rivers, cloud formations, flowers, anything.

Something about it relieves me of the pressure of everyday life. I look at a beautiful flower and think "It doesn't matter if _____ doesn't work out like I plan, the world will go on." Something about feeling slightly insignificant makes me feel more relaxed.

I can sit back and realize that sometimes, people fail at things. People fail tests, forget to take out the garbage, lose their keys, get in stupid fights with friends or family, but the sun still comes up. The trees still grow. The river still flows. The rain still falls.

People today tend to be so egocentric that they feel like every success they have revolutionizes the world around them, and every failure causes it to crash down catastrophically. Some people are happy to think that the world completely revolves around them, but that's not me.

I'm happy to know that no matter what happens today, there is tomorrow, and it is new. The whole world is not crying because I didn't study enough for my midterm. Realizing that my problems are only a big deal because of how I am looking at them shows me that the test I failed is not the end of my education, it's a lesson to study harder next time.

Perhaps you might think on this concept?

No comments: